Thursday, December 16, 2010

Baking barking treats!

I have bought all my ingredients for baking this season. I am making my usual Christmas treats that everyone will expect and I am trying a few new ones. Dog treats is one of my new ones! I have my dog and three grand-doggers, so I thought homemade treats would be fun to try.
I found these cute dog bone cutters at a kitchen store at Tanger Outlets. The recipe was easy, but I ran a little low on the whole wheat flour, so I had to stiffen the dough up a bit with regular flour, but not much.

They bake for 35 minutes, so I knew it would be a long night if I only baked one tray at a time. Cooper was excited and somehow knew that these where for him....well, maybe because I kept telling him and he sat and watched me the whole time.

Oh my goodness, he is so cute!

I made a double batch....I thought one would not be enough with 4 dogs. Boy, was I wrong! After three full trays of treats, I had more that half of the dough left. It was getting late, so I put the rest of the dough in the frig and will finish baking them tonight. I plan on putting them in treat jars that I am going to jazz up with chalkboard paint and ribbon. I will post the final presentation.
So, dog treats were the only thing that got baked last night.....about 11:15 I put Ruby to bed, tucked her all in with Christmas hot pads and a towel. I hope she rested well, I will be working her tonight!
Wanted to share this little treat that I put under the tree last night. I found these blocks at a thrift store that I go to about once a week. They are the really nice, bigger, heavier blocks. They were in great condition. I wiped them all down with a Clorox wipe and put them in the Christmas basket. Ashley saw them and asked if they would be going to her house.....I said, "no" these are toys that will stay at Grandma's house!






2 comments:

Granna said...

Such a cute idea for dog treats! I'm not sure I have the patience! I love those cutters though. Bullet stays right by my side when I'm in the kitchen. He's right there in case I drop anything to eat! I used to frequent yard sales and get toys to stay at my house for the grands. I got some really good toys and great deals!

brittany said...

cute! I can't wait to see Benny chewing on those! I am glad you are making ALOT cause UI can bring some home and use them as treats for awhile...they get expensive after ahwile.