Friday, May 8, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!


A few weeks ago, we went through all of the book boxes we had in our attic. We kept some, sold some, gave a lot away and we also found some treasures.
I found a journal that I had written in early 1993. At that time my girls were 6 and 4. There are some very funny stories in that journal, some things I have no recollection of and many of the events I had totally forgotten until I read my writings. It makes me really sad that I have not kept more journals over the years.
I thought an excerpt from my entry on February 4, 1993 was appropriate for Mother's Day. Ashley would have been 6 years old and in 1st or 2nd grade. Brittany was probably at home with Terry and I was doing some substitute teaching at the time. On this day, I was subbing at a middle school. This is a portion of the entry:
"I love my kids so much. Sitting in this class and looking at all these kids, I realize that no one can love a child as much as their own parent. So as much as Ashley is liked by her teacher and friends, she must have a certain insecurity when she is not with me, and I realize that I have a certain insecurity when I am not with them."
I love that I wrote that. I love my girls and I still feel that same connection. Even now, 16 years later, they will text me while they are in class at their University...."About to take my final, pray for me"........"when I get home, I want to take a nap"......."let's watch a movie tonight"........"do you want to sit outside in the swing when I get home?" I love that we still need each other as much today as we did back then.
Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

Terry Ray said...

You ARE the Mother of EVERY year! Great recollection...Love, Terry