Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day

So today is St. Patrick's day....I must admit, not a big deal for me. Never has been. I remember getting pinched in school for not wearing green. I'm not even sure of my heritage...really, I was just told that my family was from Southern Illinois!! Leprechauns have always freaked me out and I don't drink beer. So again, not a huge deal for me.



Of course here in New Orleans - any reason to celebrate. So it is fun to go to the St. Patrick's Day parades. They throw beads, stuffed animals, cups, etc, just like a Mardi Gras parade...but also, cabbages, carrots, and potatoes. So by the time you leave the parade you have a whole bag full of stuff to go home and make your Irish Stew.

I don't know this lady...just found the pictures to show the cabbages being thrown.

We are experiencing a beautiful Spring. We had rain for the past three days, but we needed it. Today it is beautiful and sunny. I've been playing around in my flower beds...just amazing watching the buds, blooms and greenery coming out of the ground....it happens so fast, you can almost watch them unfold. Looking forward to going and getting some bedding plants, but also waiting to see what comes up, so I know where to plant. I am just a buy it and plant it gardener....I forget what comes back and what doesn't. So - it's always fun in the Spring to watch and learn.

This weekend Terry and I are going to Jackson, MS. Brittany and Justin bought Terry tickets for a Gaither Concert for Christmas.....it seemed like a long way off back then, but here we are near the end of March. We have been to Jackson several times...mostly for Youth Camp and then of course driving through on the way up North. I'm not sure what else we may do while we are there for entertainment....but we will find something. I asked my friend Heather for some suggestions, since she used to live and work there. Personally, I am not a huge Gaither fan, but I've been to some concerts in the past with Terry and they are good...very talented musicians and singers. All in all, it will be good to get away for the weekend.


2 comments:

Granna said...

Glad you finally posted! I really enjoy hearing what you're up to! Have fun in Jax this weekend. I've seen the Gaithers here and they were very good, entertaining too!

sbwilson said...

Tricia,
I loved the pictures of the parades you went to... How did you end up in New Orleans. Enjoy your weekend in Jackson.
Sheila